Despite the prevalence of dating apps promising that true love is just a swipe away, modern dating is still hard work. There are so many things daters need to be mindful of, which can frankly make the prospect of dating a little intimidating.
Did you know that 30% of Americans are single and that most of them are women? Numbers and dating statistics like these should make finding a partner a piece of cake, but as we all know, nothing could be further from the truth.
So, how to make the whole process less stressful? By checking out these awesome stats and arming yourself with the best information that can help you take your dating game to the next level in 2021.
Top Ten Dating Statistics for a Match Made in Heaven
- It takes just four minutes to see if you “click” with someone.
- 28 is the average age people meet their spouse.
- Around 8% of couples met through a dating app or site, according to online dating trends.
- 70% of Americans have kissed on the first date.
- More than 32 million US citizens use dating apps.
- The average number of relationships before marriage for men is six, and five for women.
- 60% of women are not actively dating.
- 63% of men think that men should pay for the first date.
- Teenage dating statistics reveal that 35% of teenagers have a romantic relationship.
- Dating abuse statistics show that an estimated 10 million people are victims of abuse by an intimate partner every year.
Dating Statistics in 2021: The Basics
If you’re dating, do it the right way. It is complicated as it is, let alone without the right information. Here we gathered some basic dating information to help you navigate dating in 2021.
1. 60% of women are not actively dating.
Women aren’t the only ones giving up on dating, as 43% of men stated they were not going on dates at the time, dating facts and conclusions from a 2016 survey indicate.
2. Florida is the best state for singles.
At 55.7%, Louisiana may have the highest share of singles, but statistics and various factors such as gender balance, the number of restaurants, and movie theaters rank Florida as the number one state for unattached people.
3. San Francisco has the highest percentage of single men per single woman.
On the other hand, if you are a single man looking for love, then your best bet would be moving to Memphis, TN – the city with the highest number of single women per single man.
4. Teenage dating statistics reveal that 35% of teenagers have a romantic relationship.
(Pew Research Center)
According to this national survey, love isn’t reserved only for adults. Whether it surprises you or not, apparently, 14% of high school students stated they were involved in a serious relationship at the time.
5. Around 8% of couples met through a dating app or site, according to online dating trends.
Although many couples got together through a match made in Tinder’s heaven, online dating isn’t the only way to meet singles around you.
Actually, most couples (39%) met through friends, 15% met at work, and only 12% found their significant other in bars or other public places. Finally, only 1% of surveyed couples said that they met during speed dating.
First Date Statistics for a Science-Backed Spark
First things first — if there’s no initial attraction, you won’t make it. But worry not, apparently you’ll know in a matter of minutes. Read through these stats to learn more about this and many others that will help you plan a perfect date and know what’s expected of you.
6. It takes just four minutes to see if you “click” with someone.
For most people, 240 seconds might seem like too short a time to get to know someone. However, research shows that this is enough for two people to forge a meaningful connection.
7. 63% of men think that men should pay for the first date.
46% of women agree that it’s the man’s responsibility to pay, while just a meager 5% believe they are the ones who should pay on the first date, dating statistics reveal. When it comes to going Dutch, 18% of women and 7% of men think splitting the bill is a good idea.
8. 70% of Americans have kissed on the first date.
(Dating Advice) (Bustle)
That’s over two-thirds of all surveyed daters, with 15% of men having higher chances of getting kissed than women. Gen X-ers are more likely to kiss on the first date, i.e., 52% of Gen X-ers compared to 50% of millennials, and 47% of baby boomers share a kiss the first time they go out.
9. Fun facts about dating reveal the biggest turn off for women on the first date is a man who constantly checks his phone.
What do women like on first dates? Compliments (94% of women want their partner to complement their looks); being kind to staff (38% don’t like it when their date is rude to servers) and not sharing food (58% of women don’t want their date to take a bite of their meals).
10. 49% of singles cited talking about past relationships on the first date as the biggest conversation killer.
Interesting facts about dating say that you should keep your exes where they belong–in the past. And don’t underestimate the power of quality conversation. As much as 74% of people said that they value a meaningful dialogue more than physical appearance.
Average Dating Time Before Marriage
Why do some relationships end in happily ever after, while others fail miserably? Apparently love is not the only number in this equation. You need to take a lot of factors into account, like age, duration of the relationship, number of previous partners, etc.
11. The average number of relationships before marriage for men is six, and five for women.
Women also go on fewer dates than men. Women daters go on an average of 11 dates (including two blind and two online dates), whereas men have an average of 14 dates before they decide to go down the aisle.
12. 28 is the average age people meet their spouse.
However, this varies depending on gender. Women, at 25, are slightly younger than men when they find their Mr. Right.
13. Couples that date for two years before settling down are at a 20% lower risk of divorce than couples who were together for less than a year.
A study involving 3,000 couples in the US concluded that partners who dated for at least three years before getting married were 39% less likely to get a divorce.
Experts recommend (length of dating before marriage statistics confirm it) being in a relationship for at least a year before tying the knot.
14. People who find a partner online get married faster than couples who meet in real life.
Couples who have met on a dating app, such as Tinder, or a dating website, get married after four years of dating, while half of those who met through friends or in public places get married after a 10-year relationship.
15. The percentage of relationships that fail within the first year is 70%.
However, the numbers are showing that the longer couples are together, the stronger their relationship is. This is especially true if they are married, as marriage is a strong binder for partners staying together.
Case in point: the likelihood of gay and heterosexual couples ending the relationship after five years drastically goes down to 20%.
Dating App Statistics
Online dating became a crucial part of our ‘new normal’ in the 2021 dating world. It may seem hectic and confusing if you’ve never tried it before or read about horror stories online. However, it is quite popular and successful, so you may want to give it a try after these stats.
16. More than 32 million US citizens use dating apps.
On top of that, due to the entire social distancing/national lockdown situation, the dating industry is expected to reach its first billion in revenue in 2021.
17. Dating site statistics show that online dating is less common among heterosexuals.
(Pew Research Center) (The Independent)
55% of the LGB community use a dating app or site compared to just 28% of straight adults. Both seem to like body ink, though.
According to Type, 64% of women expressing their preferences wanted to date men with tattoos, while 39% of men said they liked women with permanent body art.
18. Modern dating can be time-consuming.
To get 1.8 hours of average dating time in real life, people spend 5.2 hours a week looking at profiles and another 6.7 hours sending and replying to emails or messages, an online dating site survey found.
19. Couples who meet online are more diverse than those who meet offline, according to the internet dating statistics.
(Pew Research Center)
Three in ten couples who met online report being involved with someone of a different race or ethnicity, while 46% say they do not identify with the same political beliefs as a partner they met on the internet.
20. According to online dating scams statistics, romance frauds cost Americans $201 million in 2019.
There were 25,000 reported cases of romance scams last year, but the real number could be much higher as many people are too embarrassed or ashamed to admit they had been tricked.
The best way to protect yourself from online dating scams: don’t be too trusting — never send money to someone you’ve only met online. Or at least do a quick online background check on them.
Dating Violence Statistics to Keep in Mind at All Times
Unfortunately, it’s not all sugar and spice when it comes to love. Sometimes things take the wrong direction and end in abuse and violence.
If you’re experiencing any kind of abuse or violence, we urge you to seek help. You are not alone, and it is most certainly not your fault. Read the following stats to get a clearer picture.
21. Dating abuse is more common among adolescents.
Adults who had been the victims of sexual or physical violence, or stalking, first experienced some sort of abuse from their partner between the ages of 11 and 17.
22. Dating abuse statistics show that an estimated 10 million people are victims of abuse by an intimate partner every year.
One in three women and one in four men have been in an abusive relationship at some point in their lives. This high percentage of dating abuse has put intimate partner violence among the most common violent crimes (accounting for 15% of all violent crimes in the US, show).
23. 56% of LGB online daters have received unwanted sexually explicit messages or images.
In addition to LGB singles on dating apps, it is usually young girls who get harassed with 19% saying that they had been threatened by violence on a dating site or app.
24. Date rape statistics reveal that 57% of all sexual assaults happen on or after a date
Around 20% of women are raped in their lifetime. Sadly, date rape, defined as a sexual assault committed by an intimate or potentially intimate partner, is a common occurrence, especially among female college students, a quarter of whom have been the victims of rape or attempted rape.
How many people date online?
As of 2020, research shows that 30% of American adults have dated online at some point in their lives.
How many people are in relationships?
A quarter of 18 to 19-year-old respondents stated that they were in a relationship, as did 13% of 30 to 49-year-olds and 5% of survey participants aged 50 and over.
How long does a typical relationship last?
According to experts, it takes 90 days to see if a relationship will be successful. After three months of dating, most couples reach the point when they decide if they will take their relationship to the next level or end it.
What are the 5 stages of dating?
These stages include:
- Physical attraction;
- Starting to second guess your choice of partner;
- Becoming exclusive;
- Becoming more intimate and creating a more stable relationship;
- Becoming a part of a committed relationship.
Why do relationships fail?
There might be a million reasons why a relationship doesn’t work out, although some of the most common ones include trust issues, unresolved arguments, differences in expectations, or at times, it is simply a lack of compatibility.
Before We End Things
When it comes to romance and dating statistics, there is no universal rule that applies to all. Love is complicated, and finding it is no easy feat. If you’re feeling desperate at the moment, remember the basic self-care rules: a good night’s sleep or a glass of wine with some music to match your vibes.
For all you know, 2021 could just be the year you find “the one.”
- Dating Advice
- Duke University
- Good Therapy
- Marie Claire
- MEL magazine
- New York Times
- Pew Research Center
- Pew Research Center
- Pew Research Center
- Psychology Today
- Stanford University
- Washington Post
- Washington Post
- Washington Post